Saturday, July 17, 2010

People watching in Hong Kong

One of my favorite things to do is to “people watch,” especially in a foreign country. Even though we have only been in Hong Kong for four days, I have noticed several interesting mannerisms thus far. For whatever reason, I have always thought of Asian people as hard workers, and from what I have observed; the people of Hong Kong appear to be no exception. On Friday, Kenneth, Eric and I took a quick break from the heat to enjoy the wonderful air-conditioning in a skyscraper and rehydrate. As we visited, I watched the 3 teenage-young twenties aged attendants in the Circle K convenience store within the building who were working away like little bees. When they didn’t have customers, they were not hanging out chatting; they were busy mopping the floor, restocking, and yes, even taking products off the shelves to clean them! I was humbled and impressed that the Hong Kong people appear to take great pride in their jobs, even if it is a job that Americans would consider menial.

I have also been very impressed with Hong Kong’s emphasis on cleanliness. Even for me, at times, it seems a little over the top (and that is saying something since Kenneth always refers to me as “Melvin” from “As Good As It Gets”). When we entered the Tea Museum on Friday, for instance, there was a sign on the door that said that the entire museum was disinfected every four hours! We came across a similar sign when we were putting our ticket into the machine to get on the cable cars that read the waiting area was cleaned six times a day! As the moving tram cars came in to the docking area, an employee wiped the inside down furiously before the next group loaded up.

Not only do the people of Hong Kong keep their surroundings impeccably clean, but I also feel they have high standards of personal hygiene. Everyone is well groomed and tidy-looking. Despite the ridiculous heat and humidity you rarely smell wafts of body odor. Many women carry wash cloth-type towels to blot the perspiration from their face, and some carry them tucked into the back collar of their shirt.



With 7 million people in this place there is no shortage of opportunities for some people watching!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment