After spending Friday night strolling through the Temple street night market looking for a cheap tripod and a particular Jimmy Choo knockoff purse, we got around a little later than expected on Saturday. When we finally ventured out, we made our way to the Tourism Office at Tsim Sha Tsui where Melinda signed up for some of the Cultural Kaleidoscope classes. She took 2 classes last week, and really had great time learning about jewelry and tea. More to come from her on those topics in the not too distant future.
From there, we set off in search of a few tailors that I had heard about: Raja Fashions and David Fashions. Both stores run pretty slick operations. In addition to making bespoke suits in HK, they make frequent trips to the US, London, and a few other hot spots, to visit old customers for repeat business and find new customers. Although they can make suits in as little as 2 days, I’m hoping to spend a little more time with them to get a high quality suit that I really like. After flipping through swatches of fabric for almost an hour, I settled on a navy blue with subtle pinstripes. I didn’t pull the trigger on the suit yet, though. This week I will spend some more time looking through various styles to make sure I know what I’m talking about when I talk through the style that I want. It’s a pretty interesting process that is pretty fun if you like clothes and don’t mind taking a little extra time to really figure out what you want.
The next stop was intended to be a nice dimsum meal at Maxim’s in City Hall, but the restaurant was booked. We found another restaurant in the area, though, as well as some great views of some of the buildings downtown.
Hong Kong at night is a pretty amazing sight. To get some more great views of the city, we took our first trip up to Victoria Peak on the Peak Tram. The tram has been in operation for around 100 years, and climbs at a 45 degree angle up the mountain. Here’s a picture of the train at the station.
It’s a pretty cool ride, and the view at the top is even cooler. I got to put my new $12 tripod to the test, and although I definitely have some more work to do on night photography, I was pleased with the results.
OK - enough for now. Like I said, we'll try to do better. Also, Happy 4th of July. Kind of crazy, but this is our 2nd year in a row celebrating the 4th of July overseas. Last year we were in Bora Bora on our honeymoon, and this year in Hong Kong.
Sol would be soooooo jealous of the suits. It's like his obsession these days.
ReplyDelete