Saturday, July 17, 2010

Thursday, June 19th: Getting to Hong Kong

When we arrived to our apartment in North Point we were greeted by the congenial Mr. Chan, who showed us to our apartment on the 16th floor. I knew it was going to be small, but for some reason I was still surprised by how small! My bedroom in Wichita is bigger than our entire apartment! We also have a bathroom, kitchenette, and “closet” area. Proportionally speaking, it was ironic to find that the largest thing in our bedroom is the massive flat screen TV with only 4 Cantonese channels. I am actually glad that we don’t have a wide range of TV channels and that I can’t watch TV or Netflix movies on my computer out of the US. Otherwise, I would be very tempted with all of my free time on my hands!



Eric, Kenneth, and I decided to walk around our area of town and find somewhere to eat dinner for the night. As we walked outside of our apartment towards the main street, my senses were taken aback by several things. First, our side street outside of our apartment reeked of a “fishy-fish” smell. Secondly, about 25-50 yards from our apartment were multiple rats scurrying around! Fortunately, this would be our first and only rat sighting!

The main street was lined with neon-lighted signs in Chinese characters that none of us could understand, but eventually we came across the same hole in the wall Chinese restaurant that Eric had eaten at during his first time to Hong Kong.

No comments:

Post a Comment